Royal Institute of British Architects Press Release
For immediate release: 19 September 2016
Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) appoints new Chief Executive
Alan Vallance has been appointed Chief Executive of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) following a competitive recruitment process.
Alan Vallance has a background in finance, consulting, strategic planning and general management in Europe and Australasia. He joined the RIBA in September 2015 as Interim Director of Finance and Operations and has been interim Chief Executive since February 2016. Prior to joining the RIBA Alan spent three years as Chief Operating Officer at the Law Society, the membership and regulatory body for solicitors in England and Wales.
RIBA President Jane Duncan said:
“I am delighted that Alan Vallance has been appointed as Chief Executive of the RIBA. We had a large and strong field of applicants and the interview panel were unanimous in concluding that Alan is the right person to lead the RIBA as we deliver our 5 year strategy. As Interim Chief Executive since February this year, Alan has demonstrated his energy, drive and commitment to strengthening the RIBA’s voice and impact as a global professional membership body driving excellence in architecture.’
Alan Vallance said:
“Architects are creative, visionary and collaborative professionals who ensure that our built environment serves and strengthens communities now and in the future. It is a privilege to have been appointed to the role of Chief Executive of the RIBA. I look forward to working with the Board and Council, the staff team and members in the UK and globally to deliver the RIBA’s five year strategic plan and to further strengthen the RIBA’s offer to current and future members.”
- For further press information contact Howard Crosskey in the RIBA Press Office email@example.com 020 7307 3726
- An image of Alan Vallance can be downloaded here: https://riba.box.com/s/dyb8xesdwguh5ln19c0e7l4um3r6jdyw
- Alan tweets at @Alan_Vallance
- Alan Vallance trained as a chartered accountant and has a background in finance, consulting, strategic planning and general management across a wide variety of roles in Europe and Australasia. Prior to joining RIBA in September 2015 as Interim Director of Finance & Operations, Alan spent three years as Chief Operating Officer at the Law Society, the membership and regulatory body for solicitors in England and Wales. Between 2009 and 2011 Alan was the Chief Operating Officer of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, the national weather agency, based in Melbourne, Australia. As part of his responsibilities, Alan spent considerable time at the United Nations in Geneva participating and leading Australian Delegations at the World Meteorological Organisation. Alan is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and New Zealand and the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He obtained a BA (Hons) in Economics at the University of York.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) is a global professional membership body that serves its members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. architecture.com Follow us on Twitter for regular RIBA updates www.twitter.com/RIBA